New Directions, Fitzcarraldo Editions, and Giramondo are pleased to announce The Novel Prize, a new biennial award for a book-length work of literary fiction written in English by published and unpublished writers around the world.
The Novel Prize offers $10,000 to the winner in the form of an advance against royalties, and simultaneous publication of their novel in North America by New Directions, the UK and Ireland by the London-based Fitzcarraldo Editions, and in Australia and New Zealand by Sydney publisher Giramondo. The judges will be looking for novels which explore and expand the possibilities of the form, and are innovative and imaginative in style.
Submissions will be open from April 1 to July 1, 2020, with New Directions from the Americas, Fitzcarraldo Editions reading submissions from Africa and Europe, and Giramondo from Asia and Australasia. A shortlist will be made public in December 2020, with the winner announced in February 2021. The winning novel will be published in early 2022.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please read these eligibility and entry rules carefully before submitting. Submission of an entry is taken as acceptance of the entry rules. For any queries not covered below, please email email@example.com.
- This application via New Directions is open to residents of the Americas only.
- Entrants should submit a full manuscript of their novel (minimum 30,000 words). The manuscript should be double-spaced, 12pt.
- Each submission should include a cover letter including a biographical note, contact details and brief outline of the novel.
- The submission must be original.
- Only submissions received by email by midnight on July 15, 2020 will be considered.
- Entries that are incomplete, are corrupted or submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- The entry must be the entrant’s own original creation and must not infringe upon the right or copyright of any person or entity.
- Co-authored entries will not be accepted.
- Writers who have existing contracts, or who have previously held contracts, with publishers for books of fiction or non-fiction are eligible to enter.
- Writers who have published writing (fiction or non-fiction) in magazines and journals are eligible to enter.
- Writers may submit only one proposal per iteration of the prize.
- The novel must be written in English (no translations).
- Submissions may be made by the author of the novel or (if they have one) their agent.
- There are no age restrictions, and we welcome submissions from writers of all backgrounds.
- All submissions should include page numbers.
- The novel must be original and should not have been previously published anywhere in full. Published work is taken to mean published in any printed, publicly accessible form, e.g. anthology, magazine, newspaper. It is also taken to mean published online, with the exception of personal blogs and personal websites.
- A shortlist of up to six novels will be announced around September 15, 2020. The winner will be announced in early October 2020.
- New Directions reserves the right to organize a meeting with all shortlisted writers to discuss their novel before the award of the prize.
- Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted.
- No editorial feedback will be provided to unsuccessful entrants.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the judging process.
- New Directions will have the exclusive world right to publish the winning novel in the Americas.
- New Directions reserves the right not to award the prize this year, or to make multiple offers of publication.
- Only submissions which meet all Terms and Conditions will be considered.
- By entering this competition, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.